PARTNERSHIP WORKING AND EDUCATION
Although the Council can achieve a certain amount on climate change by working through our own buildings, fleet and operations, the greatest impact will be made by working in partnership with others. We also have an important role to play in raising awareness on climate change through educational work, training and publications.
- with businesses through the West Sussex Sustainable Business Partnership to inform them how they can reduce costs through energy and water efficiency and minimising waste
- with the local Energy Saving Trust advice centre and other relevant organisations to promote domestic energy efficiency and to tackle fuel poverty
- with Horsham in Bloom and other community groups on environmental projects and increasing environmental awareness
- partnership approach with other West Sussex local authorities on a range of waste minimisation initiatives, energy efficiency, transport etc.
The Horsham District Community Partnership is a very significant partnership. This comprises organisations that affect the well-being of the people of the District. It is producing a new Sustainable Community Strategy which sets out a vision for improving the quality of life for everyone who lives and works in the District up to 2026.
Current activities for awareness raising:
- provision of information and advice on waste, recycling and composting for residents and community groups,
- using Eco Schools and Junior Citizen to promote sustainable lifestyles to schools and pupils,
- guidance for architects, builders and agents to encourage sustainable design and construction through publications, the website and seminars,
- held an Eco Fair in Horsham town where organisations gave information on sustainable lifestyles,
- training and informing our own staff through regular features in the in-house newsletter, seminars and training events.
|1 to 2 years:|
|Sustainable Community Strategy||Work with the Community Partnership to identify projects in the Action Plan which will contribute to a reduction in carbon emissions and adaptation to climate change|
|Greening Campaign||Work with 5 communities in the District to reduce their carbon emissions, in partnership with West Sussex County Council and the Greening Campaign|
|West Sussex Sustainable Business Partnership||Work with the Partnership on a series of new seminars for businesses on resource efficiency|
|Training on fuel poverty||Continue to provide training for relevant organisations, staff and Members|
|Training on renewable energy and sustainable construction||Provide training for staff and Members|
|Educational garden||Create a new garden in Horsham Park to demonstrate the link between humans and plants|
|2 to 5 years:|
|Horsham District Community Partnership||Continue to work with the Community Partnership on opportunities to reduce carbon emissions across the District|