Even if greenhouse gas emissions are reduced there is likely to be some changes to the climate. These changes could affect many Council services. We need to be prepared and help others to be prepared.
- joining Climate South East which focuses on the implications of the likely new climate conditions.
- emergency planning: we work with the emergency services to ensure that tested plans are in place to deal with extreme events, such as flooding and storms.
- health impacts of climate change: we are part of Sussex Air-Alert which gives a free air quality alert service for people with respiratory conditions.
- providing advice to businesses and residents on the importance of temperature control during heat waves
- producing a Policy Statement on Flood Defences: sets out our approach to flood defence working alongside the other relevant agencies.
- planning policies seek to ensure that new developments do not increase the risk of flooding and encourage the use of Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems (SUDS)
- completing a Strategic Flood Risk Assessment that sets out the locations that should not be developed to avoid excessive flood risk.
- Sussex Building Control can provide advice on flood and subsidence risks for development.
|1 to 2 years:|
|National Indicator on adapting to climate change||Identify the actions required for the Council to progress through the different levels of the adaptation Indicator|
|Risk management||Investigate using the Council’s work on risk management to include adapting Council services and operations to future climatic conditions|
|Joint working||Investigate areas of joint working on adaptation with other Councils|
|Sustainable Community Strategy||Work with the Horsham Community Partnership to identify areas for joint working on adapting to future changes to the climate|
|Private Water Supply Regulations||Implement new regulations to ensure safety of private water supplies which take pressure off of public water supplies|
|2 to 5 years:|
|Greening Campaign||Use this project to work with communities on how they can adapt to climate change|
|Emergency Planning||Ensure future reviews of the Emergency Plan take account of the most up-to-date scenarios for future climate conditions|
|Review Core Strategy||Review will need to consider measures to prepare new development for future climate conditions which may result in new planning policies|
|Foundation Design||Provide advice on the changing requirements for foundation design due to changes in soil conditions|
|Pest Control||Adaptation of services to new types of pest due to changing climate|